Local Woodworking Club Organizing Major Conference and Furniture Exhibition
The Ottawa Woodworkers Association is holding WoodWorks 14, a conference by and for furniture makers; and, WoodObjects, a public exhibition of outstanding locally handcrafted furniture and other wood objects.
The event will be held September 27-29, 2014 at Algonquin College in Perth, one hour south-west of Ottawa.
The organizers of Woodworks 14 believe the line-up of speakers is very inspiring and offers something for everyone:
- Ron Barter – designer/maker of fine furniture and the owner of Rosewood Studio in Perth.
- Tom Fidgen – author, musician, designer/maker of fine furniture; from Toronto.
- Garrett Hack maker of fine federal-inspired furniture, writer and international teacher of woodworking, from Vermont.
- Mark Harrell – saw maker; from Wisconsin.
- Linda Manzer – Canadian master luthier, from Toronto.
- Konrad Sauer – Guelph based designer-maker of some of the world’s finest hand planes.
- Christopher Schwarz – contributing editor of Popular Woodworking and Publisher of Lost Art Press, from Fort Mitchell, Kentucky.
According to event chairman Vic Tesolin, “The event is being held at the Algonquin College campus in Perth,” said Tesolin, “because that is where the heritage carpentry programs are located and they offer a very supportive environment for an event of this nature. Perth is historic, beautiful and offers a lot for people to do in addition to the conference.”
Attendees will be able to attend seminars, meet and mingle with each other, take in the furniture exhibit and browse the wares of selected commercial vendors. A pub night and dinner are planned for the Saturday night.
Additional details about Woodworks 14 are available at www.woodworksconference.com
WoodObjects is a juried furniture exhibit open to anyone attending WoodWorks 14. Details are available at http://woodworksconference.com/woodobjects.php
The Ottawa Woodworkers Association comprises woodworkers of all ages and abilities, amateur as well as professional. Membership is open to anyone with interest. Meetings are held monthly with a guest speaker. The club was founded in 2004 to encourage skill development and woodworking enjoyment; and to promote woodworking as a hobby, a profession or anywhere in between. There are currently about 100 members. Meeting schedules and other information can be found at www.ottawawoodworkers.ca
For additional information: